Monday, July 29, 2013

Try

Today's Thought comes from the great mind of Theodore Roosevelt. As you look at the title and the quote, you may be wondering if I'm contradicting one of my earlier posts. I may be, but hear me out. There indeed is some wisdom left in 'ole Teddy.
Failure is hard. There's no doubt about that. It's hard do to your best and be told, "not good enough." Miraculously, somehow, we are able to learn from our failures. But what is there to learn from not even trying? You may fail, but you can only succeed if you try.
This weekend I had an interesting experience. I was at church sitting in my normal spot with the same folks sitting around me. As I was walking out at the end, I was approached by a young gentleman, about my age. He said he noticed I had been there a few weeks and that I should join him in a youth group meeting after church. I turned him down, rationalizing that I only have two weeks left in the city and so why get too involved now? However, I had to ask myself, what did I miss out on?
You see, I failed to even try. I may have found success, even though I didn't know exactly what success was, in that meeting. Instead, I went about my day. You see, like me, you have an opportunity to try. You never know when opportunity will knock, don't be afraid to open the door. Will you fail? Will you succeed? Those aren't important questions. The important question is this: Will you try?

No comments:

Post a Comment