Monday, July 15, 2013

Explain

I feel I owe you all an apology.  Looking back today, I have been not posting on this as regularly as I'd like.  This latest brief hiatus was due to a work trip.  Perhaps someday I will have an interesting lesson from this trip, but for now, let's get to today's Thought of the Day.  Today's Thought particularly calls to me as a teacher.  Coming from Albert Einstein, simple is a relative term.

As a teacher, I am striving to impart some knowledge and wisdom on my students.  Many times, I find myself causing more trouble than good by not being simple enough.  I'd like to think that this is a function of presenting too much information all at once.  Many times though, I have to question my own understanding.

As I have articulated my desire to be a high school teacher, many folks have told me, "You're too smart to be a teacher."  I have to shake my head at these people.  As a teacher, you are responsible for shaping students.  What you do and what you say has a profound effect on students.  I think we've all had that teacher who made an immeasurable difference in our lives, good or bad.  In my mind, a teacher should be the smartest person.  If you don't understand something, how on earth can you expect to help someone else understand it?  If you can't explain, what meaning can anyone hope to create?  Whether this explanation deals with nuclear physics, deep philosophy, or even how to tie your shoe, simplicity is the best option.  How can you explain yourself?  Do you understand?

No comments:

Post a Comment