Monday, July 1, 2013

Responsibility

Today's Thought comes from an interesting article I read during the spring semester.  It came in one of my many education courses that I take in order to obtain a teaching license in Minnesota.  The article had to do with the Finnish school system.  While the article in it's entirety is quite interesting, I chose one quote from this article:

If you spend much time around me, you learn that I'm big on personal responsibility.  You take care of your own house.  If you mess up, you own up to it and work to improve it.  If you are responsible for your own stuff, who do you need to be accountable to?  Take a step further, if we are ALL responsible enough to take care of our stuff, our part of the project, who needs to hold us accountable?  If we can maintain responsibility, accountability (at least the way it is mean in many education discussions) is rendered obsolete.  Now I know that this goal of 100% responsibility will likely never happen, but it is an intriguing goal to pursue.

Do you have personal responsibility?  While I like to say that I do, far too many times I stumble and forget just what my responsibility means.  That doesn't mean we can't keep trying.  Take a look at your life.  Are you a responsible friend?  Brother? Co-Worker?  Don't be the person that has to be held accountable.  I firmly believe in the goodness of humanity and the ultimate desire to do what is right.  Do you have personal responsibility?

No comments:

Post a Comment