Friday, July 19, 2013

Truth

Lately I've been on a kick of re-watching the television show Fringe. For those of you unaware, Fringe is a show with a cult following that deals with the area of fringe science. It is fantastic science fiction with a twist of horror and drama mixed in. One of the main characters is the eccentric scientist Walter Bishop. Described as the Einstein of his (present-day) generation, he is able to see and do things that are only in our imaginations.


I particularly enjoy this Thought because I think it speaks to the creativeness and carefree nature that we so often lack in our quest for truth. I remember back to my high school calculus class. I was often the one that was able to work through an equation or problem so fast that I usually had time left over to help my classmates. One lesson had me stumped though. No matter how I looked at it, I couldn't seem to figure it out. I eventually got so frustrated that I just gave up. The next day, I came back with the problems yet unsolved. And yet, many of my classmates, some of whom I had decided were thoroughly goofy and uninvested in calculus, had solved the problems.

Why was this? I was the one putting in all the serious work, and yet I couldn't figure it out. What I had overlooked was the ability to have an imagination and think of unique and sometimes crazy solutions. As we grow up, I think we lose that sense of imagination and sheer carefree-ness that can allow us to do things beyond our wildest imagination. Are you seeking truth? Perhaps take a page out of Dr. Bishop's book. Let your imagination run free. For in fantasy, there is often a nugget of truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment