Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Tools

Although I try to keep my Thoughts fairly neutral, today I have to post about something that I see misused a lot. That thing? Tools. Specifically, technology. Technology is a tool, not a learning outcome.

Many times in my life I have questioned why I want to be a teacher. And the answer is always the same: I want to help students make their lives better, I want to help them change the world. I want them to do just about everything that is a Right Answer.

When I hung this picture up at work today, one of my co-workers looked at it with a questioning look. She said, "isn't that common sense?" I had to laugh a bit, and as I said, "no, it's not", I had one of those moments of clarity that showed me just why I was doing what I was doing. Perhaps it was fate or simply good timing, but over the lunch table we got into a good discussion about just what we are trying to accomplish in education and why things are the way they are.

What are your tools? What are your outcomes? Everyone has their own unique tools and outcomes. I guarantee they are different things. However, that doesn't mean we don't get them confused from time to time. I think this Thought is a subtle jab at that tendency to get them confused. Sometimes, we all need a little reminder. Find your tools. Use them. But don't let them become the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment