Monday, July 8, 2013

Cool

Today's Thought comes courtesy of the television show, Community.  One of the characters, Abed, has a catchphrase which he utters to signal his approval to whatever is being offered.  This picture doesn't do it justice, if you haven't checked out a clip, I would highly encourage you to do so.

Within these four words, I believe there is an important lesson. Instead of arguing, or pointing out the problems, Abed simply trusts.  He trusts that whoever is getting him into something is doing so with the best of intentions.

I'm a fisherman.  Some of the best fishing I can think of is chasing smallmouth bass through small, rocky rivers.  Once, I was fishing this particular river, where I couldn't quite seem to hit a spot that I wanted.  It was just out of my reach.  I kept hitting the fast current right where I knew no fish would be.  For whatever reason (probably pure frustration), one time I let my lure float on down the river.  Lo and behold, not twenty feet downstream, my lure floated right under an overhanging branch, and into the mouth a nice smallie.  In my frustration, and single-goal mindedness, I had missed this golden opportunity.

I see this far too often in my own life, where I get so focused on one thing that I miss what's right in front of me.  Perhaps you're the same way.  Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and say 'Cool'.

No comments:

Post a Comment