Thursday, August 8, 2013

Slide

I've never been a big fan of psychiatry or psychology. That being said, the one psychiatrist that always seems to get me is Dr. Sidney Freedman from the television show M*A*S*H. If you are unfamiliar with M*A*S*H, it is a show about the life of a bunch of army doctors set in the Korean War. M*A*S*H stands for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, and it is one of the first lines of defense in treating the wounded. Enough background on that. The long and short of it is that Dr. Freedman is called in from time to time to alleviate the stresses of war.

In my life I have tried to live by the idea that if I do my best and help others, help will come to me. If I do what feels right, I will be taken care of. Without even knowing it, I have been living out Dr. Freedman's advice portrayed in this Thought. Sometimes, through all the hard times and all the crap you put up with, you just have to let go and slide on the ice. I can't say anything about pulling down your pants (that could be awkward) but the idea is the same. All too often though, I find myself fighting against this ideal. I try to control too much. I can't let go. This is when I get into trouble. Usually when I try too hard, things don't work out as I want them to.

Maybe you are like me, trying to go with the flow, but having to constantly work at it. If you are one of those people who are able to let go and just trust that you will be taken care of. I admire your serenity. Has there ever been a time when you just tried too hard? I'm betting that, like me, it didn't work out so well. Go with the flow. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment