Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Family

I love baseball movies. Heck, I love baseball. The move Fever Pitch takes place in Boston around the time when the Curse of the Bambino was about to be broken. Don't know what the Curse of the Bambino is? Look it up. It's serious business. But anyways. This quote is from the main character of Fever Pitch, Ben. Ben has had season tickets to the Boston Red Sox for his entire life and so he has become rather attached. The fans that sit around him, the team; those people are his family.

I remember a few years ago during college. I had to exchange cars with my parents, who were a couple hours away. Instead of one person driving the whole way, we decided we would meet in the middle. That seems reasonable, an hour each right? Well, as fate would have it, I got delayed. A lot. By the time I got to our meeting spot, I was 45 minutes late. As I drove away after exchanging cars, I thought back to all the time my parents have spent waiting at a gas station or restaurant, waiting for their children or grandchildren to arrive. At first I couldn't believe that they would do this. And yet, the more I thought about it, I realized that they were doing it for a reason. They were doing it because we are FAMILY. They were doing it because family doesn't back out. They wait. They're here for me.

Maybe you have someone or something like this in your life. I have my parents, brothers and sisters. Ben had the Red Sox. Who is your family? Moreover, who are you family to? Are you always there for them, no matter what? If you can't, do you always make it up? Perhaps you are and don't even realize it. Don't waste family. Don't do it every April. Or only at 1:05 or 7:05. Do it all the time. Be the family that others want for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment