Monday, March 3, 2014

Armor

For all of my Game of Thrones fans out there, I suspect this Thought from this particular character will ring true. Tyrion Lannister, for all his drunkenness, manages to quite eloquently speak. He's one of those people who when he says something, you should probably listen.
Today, is a special anniversary for me, for a couple reasons. First, it is the unfortunate anniversary of my oldest sisters death. To be sure, this event has shaped me in innumerable ways, ways that I am still discovering today. On a happier note, today marks six months since my amazing girlfriend and I have been dating. Although we aren't able to be together today (she is currently studying abroad in Istanbul), I can say that she has seamlessly become part of 'what I am'.
What are you? Naturally, your past has a large impact on who and what you are. Just like my sisters death continues to impact me all these years later, you too have those events that have immeasurable impact. But, only looking back is no way to live your life. We must continue looking forward to find out what we are. When Ash decided to study abroad, we figured that if we could get through the semester of being apart like this, we could make it through pretty much anything. God willing, we will get through the final ten weeks and faithfully and joyfully be reunited.
So again I ask, What are you? Take your past experiences and your future dreams. NEVER forget what you are. NEVER be afraid to show off not only the unpleasant parts of you but also the joyful. Find out what you are. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you.

No comments:

Post a Comment