Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Teach

Yesterday one of my professors brought up a quote that I felt was very profound, at least in my experience. Thus, today's Thought was found.

I have long held the belief that as a teacher, I am constantly learning. However, this Thought put a whole new spin on my philosophy. Sure you can learn something. You may even be able to pass a test on it. But can you teach it?

You see, in order to teach a topic, you have to know that topic inside and out, right side up and upside down. As a student you have the luxury of only learning something the way it makes sense for you. As a teacher you have to learn something so that it makes sense to everyone you're teaching.

Many times I hear stories of teachers 'learning' something the night before they are supposed to teach it. I suppose throughout the next year this will become familiar to me as I continue my quest toward being a high school teacher. You see, it's not as if these folks are truly learning an idea the night before, they are simply taking a new look at it, finding all the angles so that they may more effectively teach their students.

No comments:

Post a Comment