Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Company You Keep



When it comes to social media, I tend to jump right in and not worry so much about what the 'experts' say I should be doing.  So it's a bit odd that I took so long to get into blogging.  Nevertheless here I am.  I do hope that you enjoy reading of my exploits as much as I enjoy writing of them.

At my summer internship, I've gotten into a rhythm of printing out a Thought of the Day and hanging it on my cubicle divider.  I've found most of the them to be insightful, though a few here and there are just plain funny.  Today's Thought comes courtesy of the website Art of Manliness.  This is one of those sites I like to browse around and just see what I can find.  Through my searching, I found the following poster:




This got me thinking.  Everyone strives to be around good people- people that make you smile, people that make you a better person.  In reality though, what lengths are we willing to go to?  Mr. Soboleski was driven to be a paratrooper, just to have an elite group of men around him.

Confucius once said, "Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself."  The idea here is constant personal improvement.  Whether that improvement be as a person, student, parent, teacher, friend; it's all the same.  The people you surround yourself with makes a difference.  With that in mind, how do the people in your life help you in that mission of constant improvement?

No comments:

Post a Comment