Sunday, June 23, 2013

Education

What's the value of a good education?  It's a question that I think many college kids like myself struggle with.  So many times I find myself thinking, "What exactly am I paying $24,000 a year for?  Today's Thought, courtesy of Bill Watterson in the form of Calvin and Hobbes answers that question in spades.
I know I'm not the first to believe in the value of a good education.  Walter Kronkite once said, "Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation".  Perhaps that is why I chose to become a teacher.  However, I firmly believe I am a student first and a teacher second.  No matter what we do, we must be learners.  If we don't learn, we will spend our lives falling down because we have both feet through one pant leg.

It is my goal to learn something new everyday, and I sincerely encourage everyone to join me in that goal.  It doesn't matter what you are learning, as long as you are learning something that contributes to your personal improvement as a neighbor, brother, sister, friend, human being.  A final thought: What did you learn today, yesterday, and the day before that?  What will you learn today?

No comments:

Post a Comment