Thursday, June 20, 2013

Greatness

Today's Thought comes courtesy of Ron Swanson, of Parks and Recreation.  Throughout this show, he is highlighted as a gruff, well-meaning man's man.  He often talks in terms of being great, as in this quote.

What is greatness?  While I do believe it can be the best form of revenge, I also believe it is incredibly important to think of oneself as being 'great'.  Not in an arrogant or condescending way, but in a quiet confidence that shows you know you've 'got it'.  The truth is, greatness means something different to everyone.

In my fraternity, we welcome all the new members by doing a series of interviews.  These interviews are meant for them to get to know us and us, them.  One of the final questions that is always raised is a goal you have.  In my mind, this question inspires thoughts of grandeur - leading the charge on a breakthrough technology, being a world renowned 'expert'.  However, my answer that I tell these new brothers is very different.  I tell them how I want to be a good man: a good father, neighbor, brother, and friend.  See, when it comes down it, this is what it truly means to be great.  It doesn't matter what awards you win or how many people know your name.  Simply, greatness means to be the kind of person that you would look up to.  If you know you are being that kind of person, nothing else matters.  I'll leave you with this thought: Are you achieving greatness?

No comments:

Post a Comment