Monday, June 24, 2013

Legendary

I suspect that many people have a pretty good idea about the origins of this picture.  If you watch the TV show How I Met Your Mother, you know that Barney Stinson is noted for 'suiting up' because it's going to be legen- wait-for-it -dary.  What exactly is going to be legendary is the big question.

What's legendary in your life?  A legend is typically something that is elevated to almost-folk lore.  It's that awesome that it's almost too much to believe.  So perhaps a better question is this: What's your legend?

I know in my own life, I often struggle with this.  It's an innate human desire (in my experience) that we want to have some effect, leave some sign behind.  As I've grown to be an upperclassman in my fraternity, the idea of my legacy and legend comes up.  Am I being the kind of person that people will remember?  What can I do so that people remember me?  Perhaps a legend isn't an event or some act that you completed.  Maybe it's the people around you.  What am I doing for the people around me?

This summer, I've had the genuine please of becoming friends with a truly outstanding group of people.  Within the second outing as a group, we were all laughing and joking like we were old friends.  The more I think about it, these people, and everyone else around me, is my legend.  Maybe, my legend isn't someTHING that I leave behind, rather, it's someONE.  In the end, people don't remember what you did, they remember how you made them feel and how you helped them.  What is YOUR legend?

No comments:

Post a Comment