Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Losing

Today's Thought is one of those jewels associated with the whimsical philosophy of fishing. I suppose I'm biased, being an avid fisherman myself, but I kind of like these Thoughts. Today's is especially relevant, considering the latest adventures in my student teaching experience.

Lately there seems to be a rash of unnecessary comparisons going on in my class, mostly centered around grades. My message in response: Don't compare to someone else, compete with yourself. In school, there really is no way to lose (if you're doing it right). Either you 'catch' a good grade, or you 'learn' what do to differently next time. In reality, you can only lose by focusing on these comparisons.

Are you losing? If so, let go of those comparisons. Really, the only person you are competing with is yourself. If you are constantly learning and improving, there is no way to lose. You either 'catch' or you 'learn'. Are you losing or are you winning?

No comments:

Post a Comment