Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Debate

I love Amy Poehler. Ever since my wonderful girlfriend introduced me to Parks and Recreation, I've been very impressed by Poehler and her character, Leslie Knope. And although they both make mistakes, in the end they are able to work out differences, change minds and make a difference.
The other day I held a debate in one of my classes. I let the students pick the topic, which ended up being the use of cell phones in class. Surprisingly, there were very strong feelings on both sides of the issue. As the debate went on, I was impressed by one students ability to meet every emotional debate with a calm, cool and collected response. Needless to say, this student and his team had my vote.
So many students (and adults) can't seem to understand this concept of respectful disagreement. Can you articulate your belief without insults? If so, can you change minds? Today on the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities campus, the 5th Annual Ag Awareness Day was held to spread the message of agriculture. Friends, students and agriculturalists - were you able to make a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment