Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Frontier


As I'm coming to the end of my student teaching experience, part of me is really nervous about teaching full-time. Who's to say that I am qualified to teach the youth of America? I certainly don't have all the answers! And yet, it's ok to not have all the answers. I think part of the reason I like this quote from Neil deGrasse Tyson so much is because as applicable as it is to science, it's even more applicable to teaching.
So much of the time, we (myself included) like to pretend that we know everything, that we are the foremost expert. Oftentimes in teaching, admitting that we don't know something is the difference between success and failure in the classroom. Are you successful? If so, I'm willing to bet that you ask lots of questions and never really settle for what you already know. Don't be ignorant, don't look for failure. Ask questions, look for success. Don't be afraid to admit that you don't know it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment