Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Hindsight

Today's Thought is another gem from Calvin & Hobbes. This whole idea of change over time is an interesting one. So hard to see at the time it's happening, yet so enduring and obvious after the fact. How many times have you said, "hindsight is always 20/20"?

Looking back on my life, many small changes have taken effect, seemingly without me noticing. Take my school pictures. From about third grade, I have worn glasses. Looking back on all my pictures, I'm amazed by how much my choice in glasses have changed. And yet, at the time I really didn't notice the changes happening. While this example is relatively benign, I think some of the most enduring and consequence-laden changes occur without our knowledge.

What are your glasses? What are those changes that in hindsight, totally jump out at you? I'm willing to bet that it's nothing big. Maybe just a hair style, or a career change. And yet I'm also willing to bet that the consequences are far reaching. You see, it's not about anticipating these consequences. Sometimes it's ok to just look back in wonder. Everything you do have made you who you are today. What are your glasses?

No comments:

Post a Comment